About Us

The Iowa Portland Cement Company was formed and a plant built in 1910 in Des Moines, Iowa. In the 1920's Hawkeye Cement Company took over the operation until Marquette Cement Manufacturing Company bought it in 1940. The plant operated under Marquette's banner until Monarch Cement, Humboldt, KS, purchased the plant in June 1979. The Des Moines plant was about the same vintage as the Humboldt plant. Both the Humboldt plant and the Des Moines plant began in the early 1900's.

Bank of 14 and Bank of 20 Silos


The Des Moines plant operated two kilns and was a wet process plant. At the time Monarch purchased the plant, it was rated at 300,000 TPY. Our quarry was located near Earlham, Iowa, 30 miles west of the plant, and the rock was moved to the plant by rail. Monarch still owns the quarry property.



Bulkloading System
The producing plant was shut down in December 1985 and became a clinker grinding facility. Clinker from the Humboldt plant was trucked in open top trailers to Des Moines for grinding into finish cement. We operated this way until August 1994 when the grinding mills were shut down and we became a distribution terminal, receiving cement via covered rail hopper cars and bottom dump semi-trailer trucks and pneumatic trucks. In 2001, 80 percent of our cement came up in railcars, with the remaining 20 percent coming up in bottom dumps or pneumatic trucks. We unload 24 hours per day, 5 days per week. We normally load our cement 5 days per week, 14 hours per day.

The old producing plant has been demolished, with work beginning in the fall of 1999. The work was completed in the fall of 2001.

On January 1, 2000, the Des Moines terminal became Monarch Cement of Iowa, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of The Monarch Cement Company.

We currently have 34 storage silos in two banks with storage capacity of about 66,000 tons. A truck unloading facility, rail-unloading facility, shop, powerhouse and office make up the balance of the Des Moines facility.

Railcar Unloading
The Des Moines terminal has 12 employees, including the office and sales staff of President, Jerry Green, and Office Manager, Bob Hamilton.


MONARCH CEMENT OF IOWA, INC.
5200 PARK AVENUE
DES MOINES, IOWA 50321-1229
515-243-8176
Copyright ©2017 by Monarch Cement of Iowa, Inc.